Why choose us?
There are a host of reasons why so many families choose Active Explorers Grey Street. Here are just a few of them:
- Convenient location on the UCOL campus grounds
- Open to students and whānau/families from the wider community
- Family orientated
- Amazing revamped outdoor playground
- Highly skilled teachers develop individual learning plans to suit each child’s interests, aspirations and learning goals
- Strong bicultural understanding and practices
- Celebration of our multicultural environment
- Innovative, fun-filled learning environment
- Purpose-built building with great facilities
- Healthy meals provided
- Gym programmes with Tiny Y’s, Palmerston North Boys High and Flip-it
- Rising 5’s programme that includes foundational skills development, school visits, library visits, lunch box days and literacy and numeracy activities
- Regular excursions (e.g., library, events and local attractions)
- We celebrate GUFF’s Day (Grandads, Uncle, Fathers and male Friends Day), opening the centre on a Saturday to show all the cool males in our children’s lives what they learn
- We celebrate Matariki when our children adorn their wearable art creation on the catwalk for whānau/family and friends
- Active in community events (e.g. Shorts for Hospice, Loud Shirt Day, Pasifika events, Chinese New Year and Diwali)
Being Ready Willing & Able for lifelong learning
Ako taumano ai, takatū ana, kia kama, kia āhei
BEING – All that you are and all that you can be
- Supporting/Celebrating/Extending – personalities, known and unknown potential, whānau aspirations, whakapapa, learning is valued, being part of the decision making, leading learning, culturally sensitive assessment practice, high expectations, mana whenua, Ako, whanaungatanga, Aroha, Taha Whānau, Mauri Ora, Mana, Divine rights, uniqueness with a destiny to fulfil.
- “There has never been anyone else exactly like me, and there never will be. I have been given Divine Authority to stand in my own power and wisdom” Dr Rangimarie Turuki Rose Pere
READY – Confident, equipped & prepared
- Supporting/Celebrating/Extending – taking risks, effective communication, knowledge, skills and attitudes, wananga, taha hinengaro, self-esteem, confidence, determination, self-regulating, leadership, subject knowledge, working theories, fairness and justice, problem solving, mana tangata, mana reo.
- “To grow as competent and confident learners and communicators, healthy in mind, body and spirit, secure in their sense of belonging and in the knowledge that they make a valued contribution to society” Te Whāriki
WILLING – Wanting to learn, grow and explore
- Supporting/Celebrating/Extending – having a go, trying/testing abilities, trusting themselves and others, understanding how we best learn, sense of security, building on interests, strengths and capabilities, understanding stages and ages, leading learning, contributing to the curriculum, manaakitanga, developing enquiring minds, alert to learning, teachable moments, competent thinkers and listeners, responsive and reciprocal relationships, high achievers exemplifying whānau hopes and aspirations, Mana Aotūroa, Mana Atua, Kotahitanga.
- “The learner is empowered in every possible way. The main achievement occurs in the development of the child’s mana. The child is nurtured in the knowledge that they are loved and respected; that their physical, mental, spiritual, and emotional strength will build mana, influence, and control; that having mana is the enabling and empowering tool to controlling their own destiny” Tilly Reedy
ABLE – Using your whole being to achieve
- Supporting/Celebrating/Extending – having the tools, skills – inherited/learnt, a ‘can do’ attitude, self-expression, relationships, whānau involvement, cultural expression and identify celebrated, wider community, Taha Wairua, divine ancestral links, opportunities to share skills/expertise, Tangata Whenuatanga, Taha Tinana, individual talents are advanced, joy, laughter, aroha, caring, consideration, love for life, mind/body/soul.
- “Whaia te maramatanga, O te hinengaro, O te wairua – Seek out the secrets of the hidden well-spring of your mind and know the sounds and dreams of your spirit” Hirini Melbourne
Evolve Education Group is a leader in early childhood education, with over 100 centres across New Zealand offering a range of top quality learning options for all of our families.
Our highly regarded brands – which include Active Explorers, Lollipops, Pascals, Learning Adventures, Little Wonders, Little Lights and Little Earth Montessori – nurture children to love learning and become the best they can be. Rich and diverse educational opportunities are delivered by passionate, experienced educators in purpose designed centres equipped with the latest learning resources.
Evolve Education Group is helping shape the future, preparing little minds for great things in today’s ever changing world.