Why choose us?
There are a host of reasons why families choose Active Explorers Hokitika. Here are just a few of them:
- Conveniently located in the heart of Hokitika’s residential area, close to local schools
- Purpose-built, well established centre
- We’re part of the Enviroschools programme and have a keen focus on becoming environmentally sustainable (and have implemented initiatives such as recycling practices, composting and gardening)
- Separate rooms to cater for different ages and stages
- We create a home-like environment, and use real plates, glasses and crockery
- Multicultural environment
- Cool outdoor playground that reflects our West Coast environment, including a native forest that the children have been building and planting
- Strong links with our local community (e.g. We often help fundraise for local charities)
- Yearly Matariki celebrations
- Family events held each term
Ko te ahurei o te tamaiti arahia ō tātou māhi
Let the uniqueness of the child guide our work
Manaakitanga; we are passionate about creating a welcoming, caring learning environment
Kaitiakitanga; We promote responsibility and respect for our environment
Whanaungatanga; Kaimahi partner with children, whanau, colleagues and the wider community developing relationships based on respectful interactions
Tuakana/Teina; We encourage experienced learners (Tuakana) to lead and support emergent learners (Teina) defining roles and responsibilities within our learning environment.
Relationships: Relationships are the foundation of everything we do at Active Explorers Hokitika. Kaimahi take the time to get to know every child individually, to discover and learn what they are capable of and to provide an environment that will foster a sense of wonder and active exploration of their world.
Empowerment: Kaimahi empower tamariki to be competent, confident and capable by promoting and fostering opportunities for them to do things for themselves, at their own pace and experience a sense of accomplishment.
Social and Emotional Competence: Kaimahi use effective strategies that enhance children’s social and emotional competence, through promoting social engagement and facilitaing group and individual learning.
Te Tiriti Based Practice: Our centre culture embeds our core values of Kaitiakitanga, whanaungatanga, Manaakitanga and Tuakana/Teina. The principles of partnership, participation and protection guide our work with tamariki.
Environment/Curriculum: Tamariki have the freedom to explore, take risks and choose their own play. Learning through play empowers tamariki to explore and investigate what learning is important and meaningful to their own journey and fosters a lifelong love of learning. We have a commitment to our localised curriculum that supports our children to learn in a natural and organic way.
Evolve Education Group is a leader in early childhood education, with over 100 centres across New Zealand offering a range of top quality learning options for all of our families.
Our highly regarded brands – which include Active Explorers, Lollipops, Pascals, Learning Adventures, Little Wonders, Little Lights and Little Earth Montessori – nurture children to love learning and become the best they can be. Rich and diverse educational opportunities are delivered by passionate, experienced educators in purpose designed centres equipped with the latest learning resources.
Evolve Education Group is helping shape the future, preparing little minds for great things in today’s ever changing world.